Monday 6 June 2011

Savoury Capsicum, Zucchini and Carrot Cake


Savoury Capsicum, Zucchini and Carrot Cake

Inspired by:
Bon Appetit- bacon cheddar quick bread with dried pears

Why?
I wanted to use up my egg yolks (from chocolate mousse), and I wanted to try something different. I didn’t have any of the ingredients for this recipe, so I thought I’d substitute with some vegetables and see what happened!

I used:
1 medium/fist size potato grated
½ a zucchini grated
1 medium carrot grated
½ a small capsicum chopped finely
1/3 cup dairy free cheese substitute (if you have one)
1 ¾ cups gluten free self raising flour
2 tsp dried basil
2 tsp garlic flakes
½ tsp salt
½ tsp black pepper
3 large eggs (plus 3 egg yolks)
1/3 cup dairy free rice milk
1/3 cup vegetable oil

What I did:
Preheat oven to 180C. Grease/Line cake tin 25cmx35cm long or equivalent.
Grate vegetables and cheese equivalent (if using) in one bowl. 
In another bowl combine oil, eggs and milk and whisk well. In a large bowl add salt, pepper, basil and garlic to the flour and mix. 
Pour egg mixture over the flour and stir until combined, then add the grated vegetables and cheese equivalent. 
Once the mixture is thoroughly mixed, pour into the prepared tin, making sure the spread of mixture is even. Bake for 30 mins or until a tester poked into the centre comes out clean. 
Leave to cool and store at room temperature.

Comments after eating Savoury Capsicum, Zucchini and Carrot Cake!
Surprisingly good, I am not really a savory person, but this was good. I think it would have been perfect with some bacon. For a concept so new to our family, it all got eaten, so I think that says a lot!



1 comment:

  1. Or with cheese on top (sheeps or goats of course).

    ReplyDelete